Wednesday 29 November 2017

Tea - the making thereof

but not the Japanese "tea ceremony".
I know almost nothing about the Japanese "tea ceremony" apart from that it is apparently long and complex and takes years to master.
I know a little about making tea however. I have made thousands of pots of tea in my life. 
The Senior Cat has tea mid-morning and mid-afternoon - and sometimes at other times. A friend has tea whenever she arrives. My automatic reaction to W...'s arrival is to put the kettle on. Other people turn up expecting tea too.
I thought I could make tea until I was at university in London. There I came across S.... Her family owned, and presumably still do, half the shares in a very large tea estate. The brand is a household name. 
S... knew about tea. Every so often she would head off to some point in London and get her own, specially blended variety. She would bring back other varieties for people to try too.
And she taught me how to make tea - all the while complaining about the lack of rain water with which to make it.
Tea starts with having the pot ready to use - no use trying to get it after the kettle has boiled.  
Tea is made with loose tea - never a tea bag.
The kettle is filled with cold water that has never been heated before. It is preferable to use rain water.
You bring the water to the point where it is almost - but not quite - boiling. 
You warm the pot quickly by pouring in just a little water and swirling it around.
You add tea according to the number drinking it and the strength you require as well as the variety of tea. (There are no rules about this. You learn these things as you go.)
You pour on the amount of water you require. The tea should actually "fizz" slightly if the water is just at boiling point. This means the oxygen is being released and this will enhance the flavour of the tea.
You allow the tea to "steep" - but not for too long. Again, the time depends on the variety and the strength you require.
If you take milk S...'s view was that it came after the pouring of the tea. Ditto sugar.
I am not sure why anyone would want sugar in tea - except for cases of shock.
I won't claim to be an expert but I know "non-tea drinkers" who will say,
    "Oh if Cat's making tea with rainwater then I'd like some".
Middle Cat disagrees with all this. She was taught to make tea by a Fijian-Chinese woman who says the water should never boil. The Senior Cat says this is nonsense and the above method is the only way tea should be made.
Tea with water boiled in the microwave is an abomination which should never be allowed.
All I know is that tea made the way described above tastes much better than tea made with a tea bag with water from an urn.
You may disagree - and if you know another way to make tea that tastes like tea should then please let me know.

6 comments:

helen devries said...

How right you are about how to make tea. Proper tea...with leaves.

Momkatz said...

properly made tea sounds wonderful. I don't think I've ever tried it in my whole life. My mother poured about a cup of water in a pot, threw in a bunch of teabags and let it "steep." Then she poured the steeped mixture into a pitcher, added water to taste and voila! tea! We put a log of sugar and mint (fresh picked from the patch out back) in our tea which I think made it palatable.
My brother used to make "sun" tea. Fill up a jug with cold water, put in tea bags and sit it in the sun till it was properly steeped I thought it was pretty good.
The "tea barbarian" Big Sister Cat

Momkatz said...

I should read more carefully before I post. My mother boiled the cup of water and turned off the gas before she put the teabags in the hot water. She also put a lid on the pot to help with the steeping process.

I probably would have put a "log" of sugar in my tea if my mother had let me, but I was trying to say a "lot" of sugar.
Big Sister Cat

Jan Jones said...

Perfect, and all correct. I am willing to take your friend's word for rainwater tea, but properly boiled tapwater works for me. Oh, and it is green tea that should be made with water that has just gone off the boil. Apparently green tea leaves don't impart their flavour so well if scalded!

jeanfromcornwall said...

Let me tell you why I hate tea. We had a soid fuel cooker, and the teapot (metal) stood on the warm top of it. If my Father thought the tea was a bit "wisht" he would push it across onto the hot plate to give it a boil-up. If I wanted to drink tea, that was all that was available, so I stuck to cold water - straight from the tap. In thse days our water was completely untreated, pumped up 300 feet from the bottom of a mineshaft, where it had filtered down through the granite rock for years. It tasted beautiful and was very soft.

catdownunder said...

Oh Melodye that is no way to make tea! I really will have to come and train you.
Yes, Jan the water needs to be just - but only just - boiling and you are, I believe right about green tea.
Jean that sounds undrinkable! No wonder you don't like tea. It would take the skin off your tongue with the tannin!