Thursday 19 October 2017

There are still gentlemen in this world

as I had cause to discover yesterday.
I had to go to the dentist. To get there I put my trike on the train and, once in the city, pedal to my destination. There is a bike parking hoop outside the building.
I parked and locked my trike to the hoop. I went to the dentist.
When I came out I had a problem. I couldn't move the trike. 
No, not a dreaded flat tyre. There was a bike parked next to mine. When the owner had locked his (no, I am not being sexist here) on the other side of the hoop he had caught my front brake cable as well. I was stuck.
I stood there for a minute trying not to panic. What was I going to do? I had no idea - unless the brake cable could be detached in some way.
There were no police around - although there often are there as a building across the road is used by them. Had there been I might have sought some help from them.
What else was there? There's a coffee shop next to the building which houses the dentist. 
Outside that, just sitting and chatting with empty coffee containers were two men.
I took a deep breath and went up to them.
    "Excuse me gentlemen do either of you know anything about bikes? I have a bit of a problem."
They looked at me and one said, "Not much but..." and then the other one said, "I know a bit...what's the problem."
I explained and he came to have a look. He frowned. Tugged gently and said, "I see. I don't know quite what to do but perhaps..."
He started to fiddle. No, that didn't work. He tried something else and then said, "Ah."
He unscrewed one part and loosened it. That meant he could undo a clip and take another part out. My trike was no longer attached.
I was prepared to take it at the point and go, very carefully  with just the back brake to the nearest bike shop but no he said,
     "Now let me see if I can get it back together."
And he did.
I thanked him profusely and all he said was, "I'm very sorry it happened to you. I'm glad I could help."
I was too. He won't ever really know how much he helped and how much his kindness meant but I hope my thanks sounded as genuine as I gratitude was.
 

2 comments:

helen devries said...

There are more of them about than we think....luckily.

Jodiebodie said...

We need more positive stories like this about good men. Our boys need better role models in the media etc. to counterbalance the plethora of stories about the horrible or silly things that men can do. I want my son to grow up proud to be a man and not cringing about the stereotypical gender image portrayed in the media and society. Highlighting the deeds of kind, caring, smart men would give youngsters a better image of manhood towards which to strive. It would also show young people hat there are good men out there and, with luck, help them to avoid abusive relationships.
I'm so glad that you found some gentlemen who could assist you so well. It's great to read stories like this.