Tuesday 19 September 2017

The Senior Cat is now home from hospital

and although they might have kept him there a little longer I am relieved to have him here. We did wonder about a week's respite for me but he would absolutely hate, loathe and detest a nursing home. He would also have gone without a grumble but he is intellectually too sharp to endure one of those places for long.
The ambulance staff who took him to hospital were lovely. The nursing staff were kind and helpful. The consultant physician just laughed when he mistook her for a nurse. ("Well how was I to know. She was wearing a stripey jumper the first time I saw her.")  His only complaint was the food - and that is universally considered to be "dreadful". He has strong views on porridge - having Scots ancestry - and bread is not "some white chewy stuff". There was no toast. He does not eat pork so the "roast pork" meal was not much use to him either. 
I made bread today (or the machine did) and proper soup with a lot of "things" in it. Tomorrow he can shepherd's pie (comfort food) and on Thursday it will be tuna mornay - which I will make tomorrow.
Also tomorrow we have someone coming to help  him shower three times a week for the next fortnight. He hasn't the energy to do that himself at present - and we might assess the situation at the end of that time. 
I am due to help my friend at the craft fair on Thursday until Sunday but I won't stay as long as I usually do.  
Now I am waiting for him to curl up on his sleeping mat again - then I can go and curl up on mine. We both need a lot of catnap right now!
But, before I prowl off, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for the good wishes. It does make a difference and, as I said in the comments on the last post "thinking of you" - however it is put - is a very important phrase in any language. Thanks.

6 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Such a relief to hear the news. All best wishes to you both, and thanks to all the people who helped.

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are both OK, looking forward to seeing you soon
Linda B.

Helen Devries said...

You must be glad to have him home. Almost as glad as he is to be there.
Take all the help that you can get.

Momkatz said...

Your Dad will feel better at home with you, Cat, than in hospital. So glad he is back home and you can cosset him with lovely home cooking.
I hope you are feeling better, too.
Take as many catnaps as you can.
Purrs and huggs and love from
Big Sister Cat

Anonymous said...

Cat, All I can do is offer some virtual hugs. Thinking of you!

Jodiebodie said...

I totally agree that one as sharp as your Senior Cat should be forced to endure an institutional setting. That would be the last place I would want to be if I were in a similar position but what about getting some rest for you?

I was going to ask if there were in-home help that can come to you to relieve you and allow you to recover too; and I'm pleased to read that you have a fortnight of extra help. People underestimate how much energy is required to shower for both the person showering and the helper! It is exhausting.

Senior Cat and I are also agreeable about hospital food. I would not have eaten for 3 days had my family not brought in a box of food for me during my last stay. It makes no sense that a modern hospital is incapable of providing healthy food in general, not to mention food especially tailored for special dietary needs. Crazy!

I am sorry that I did not get to the craft fair this year. Ever since it moved to September, it has clashed with other activities. What a shame as I would have liked to have seen you but there's a good chance I would have missed you anyway if you weren't able to stay for long.

Wishing you a good rest so you can feel better every day. xx