Saturday 23 September 2017

The man who allegedly headbutted the former Prime Minister

Tony Abbott has done himself no favours. He has also been given far too much publicity. 
I would like to see him given a lengthy custodial sentence. It is more likely he will be given a rap over the knuckles, perhaps a good behaviour bond and a suspended sentence at the most. The courts will say they don't want to make a martyr of him.
This man says it had nothing to do with the marriage equality debate. He says he just saw the former Prime Minister, a man he apparently loathes, and decided to "have a go" at him. Really? 
It's possible but I suspect it is all a bit more complicated than that.
Whatever the reasons I think there is a need to send a very strong message that it is not acceptable to use violence. 
Unprovoked violence is even more disturbing. 
The Senior Cat comes close to being a pacifist. He won't read war books or watch war films either. He would defend his family and, when younger, anyone weaker than himself. He would never have initiated violence.  At school he was apparently known for being the one to try and negotiate a peace deal. He went on doing it into his adult life - having the example of his parents and other relatives.
We have grown up the same way. Don't pick a physical fight.
That doesn't mean we won't argue. In a couple of weeks from now I will be getting up to say something that may well lead to an argument. Nevertheless I have thought carefully about what I want to say and have taken the trouble to prepare it. I won't lash out physically.
The media has made much of the alleged attack. It is almost as if they admire the man who is said to have hit out. The incident is being used. I suppose that's inevitable but it makes me angry. They know what they are doing.
Words have consequences. When we use them we have to take responsibility for them.

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

I agree that violence and abuse are wrong.
I do not agree with, or support, the behaviour of the perpetrator.

I know that Tony Abbott has made plenty of statements which have polarised public opinion. A polarised society forces people to extremes and it plays out with extreme behaviour. I can't say that I am surprised that this happened even though it is totally unacceptable. If someone is going to make provocative statements, they need to consider who or what they are provoking.

It's pretty sadand disturbing that someone would think that head butting a person would solve a problem and that they would consider violence a valid choice of behaviour.