Sunday 18 June 2017

"What a waste of time!"

I was told.
I have recently made 60 sets of decorated snap hair clips - you buy the clips with tiny glue pads and add the decoration to that - and 20 sets of "scrunchies", otherwise known as elasticated hair ties. Yesterday I passed these on to someone else to sell as a fundraiser. 
And someone else told me, "What a waste of time!"
Really?
Yes they did take time. No, I didn't particularly enjoy doing them. I found them rather fiddly. They won't raise a lot of money.  That is not the point. 
I did them for several reasons. One is that it means I am contributing something. Another is that they can be sold cheaply at an event where people will be looking for something which is cheap and cheerful. I hope they are the sort of thing that a small girl, given a dollar or two to spend, will want to buy. They are, I hope, potentially useful and practical.
A third reason for making them is that it will raise awareness that crafting does not need to involve expensive materials. Even if you have very little to spend a packet of hair elastics, a ball of cheap of cotton, and a crochet hook can produce quite decent results - results that will last the life of the elastic at least.
A fourth reason is that I hope some people will look at them and think, "I could make that too."
Yes, most people go to a craft event because they are interested in making things or, at very least, seeing things others have made. 
So why did a member of the group think I was wasting my time? Yes of course I could knit beanies and blankets for the homeless - or a new "leftovers" pullover for the Senior Cat...I am not re-knitting the cuffs for a third time! I could have made another shawl or vest or done the Christmas tree decorations too. All of those things might have been "more useful" - or would they?
I think I have done the right thing here. I can knit the two tiny, tiny pullovers/sweaters I have promised for the Christmas tree in the next couple of weeks. I am planning a new vest - the idea may or may not work but, even if it doesn't, I can use the pieces I create for something else.
It isn't "wasting time" to create something simply because it is small and cheap. I am hoping what I made will actually be used.
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And not only are you making something, you have thought about HOW to make it.

LMcC

Momkatz said...

What an absolutely dreadful thing to say to you, Cat. How rude. Making things with our hands is never a "waste of time." The hair clips and scrunchies will be just the thing for young girls.

USA Cat whose hackles are up

kayT said...

I wonder why it is that people who have such unpleasant thoughts feel the need to express them out loud so frequently. Think whatever you like, people, but keep your mouths shut!!!

Anonymous said...

Making anything for somebody else, or some other organisation, is never a waste of time.

Jodiebodie said...

I agree that so often it is hard to find useful items within the budgets of young people who may have no more than a good coin to spend. It is nice to have a souvenir from am outing but it's s shame when the offerings are closer to $10 than $1. Not everyone can afford to spend a lot at special events especially when there are tickets at the gate as well.

Jodiebodie said...

I agree that so often it is hard to find useful items within the budgets of young people who may have no more than a good coin to spend. It is nice to have a souvenir from am outing but it's s shame when the offerings are closer to $10 than $1. Not everyone can afford to spend a lot at special events especially when there are tickets at the gate as well.

Jodiebodie said...

I agree that so often it is hard to find useful items within the budgets of young people who may have no more than a good coin to spend. It is nice to have a souvenir from am outing but it's s shame when the offerings are closer to $10 than $1. Not everyone can afford to spend a lot at special events especially when there are tickets at the gate as well.