Sunday 3 July 2016

A hung parliament

is still a possibility.
I went and curled up on my sleeping mat last night. I did it early. I did not bother to sit up and watch the results trickle in. 
It was fairly obvious early on that the results were not going to be a landslide one way or the other.  It was also fairly obvious that the results might not even be known until sometime this week - probably Tuesday.
The Prime Minister has not done well. This does not particularly surprise. He's arrogant - a trait he shares with the present leader of the Opposition. 
So, we will wait. It won't be good for the economy but we will wait. 
Yesterday was interesting. I pedalled all over the place. I queued a number of times. No, I wasn't voting multiple times. I was making sure other people cast their ballots in the way they chose.  At one polling station one of the "carers" - who had brought several group house residents to vote - tried to tear strips off me for "interfering". I was told the residents didn't need any help and that she, the carer, could have done it for them. I am sure she could have decided which way they were going to vote - but they decided for themselves thank you very much.  The other carer with her just said quietly and rather wearily, "Thanks for helping Cat."
My charges all managed to vote - as they chose.  We had told them about "how to vote" cards and every one of them just said, "no thank you I have mine". It was a tactic which worked well.
I am glad that part of it is over - at least, hopefully, for another three years. If we have the proposed plebiscite on same sex marriage that will be interesting but it won't be as complicated. Eleven people with learning disabilities have participated in democracy. Their choices would not have been my choices. They made their choices based on things that didn't even rate consideration with me but that is beside the point. 
And, looking at the unholy mess out there this morning, I am wondering whether their method of voting might not be just as effective.

2 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

Your perspective from a helping viewpoint is interesting considering other stories I heard which I mentioned in a comment on your previous election post. I wrote that comment befoe I had read this post or any later posts of yours.

Jodiebodie said...

Your perspective from a helping viewpoint is interesting considering other stories I heard which I mentioned in a comment on your previous election post. I wrote that comment befoe I had read this post or any later posts of yours.