Friday 11 December 2015

Favourite move adaptation????

Now really Vanessa you know I don't watch many films. I don't go to the pictures very often. The last film I saw was "The King's Speech". I meant to go and see some others but, somehow, I didn't get around to it. I have the DVD of "Theory of Everything" sitting there and the Senior Cat and I still haven't watched it - and we were given it months ago. 
But yes, I suppose I have watched a few films "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "Dr Zhivago", "One flew over the cuckoo's nest", "Fried green tomatoes", "To kill a mockingbird", "Lord of the flies", "Charlie and the chocolate factory", and "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", "The Snowman", "Heidi", "The Hundred and One Dalmations", "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "Goodnight Mr Tom", "Matilda", "The Golden Compass", "Peter Pan", "The Secret Garden", and a few more I suppose.
Does a play count Vanessa? What about Alfred Uhry's "Driving Miss Daisy"? No, maybe not. I have to think again?
Yes, rather a lot of them were films for children - watched with The Whirlwind who wanted to watch them but not watch them by herself, "in case they are scary or sad". 
I didn't see "2001: A space odyssey" when it came out - and when I did eventually watch it about fifteen years later I wondered what the fuss was about. I have never seen a Star Wars movie. I haven't seen Jurassic Park or some of the other  "cult" movies - like the Hunger Games. I don't want to. I don't want to see war movies. I hear too much about violence in my day job.
There was some brilliant acting in "My left foot" - which is also an autobiography of course. Daniel Day Lewis deserved that Oscar. It might be a toss up between that and "Goodnight Mr Tom". I could probably watch both of those again if I had to. 

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I can tell you a non-favourite. Aged about eight-ish I stayed with a friend in Plymouth, and we were taken to see a film of "Heidi". They had changed the story and made Clara learn to walk indoors, in Frankfurt, thus ripping out the basic undercurrent of the original - the healing power of the mountains. I still remember the horror I felt that grown-ups who supposedly knew about things, could do something so BAD.
Apart from that, there have been many good adaptations and you have mentioned a lot of them, but in general I always prefer the book.

catdownunder said...

What a weird thing to do - they obviously didn't understand the story at all!