Friday 18 April 2014

The reports that flyers stating "Jews must register"

are being handed out in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine are apparently correct. What is less clear is who is handing out this vile material and what their purpose in doing so is.
Pushilin, the self styled leader of the "separatists", has apparently denied that any such moves are taking place. He has apparently claimed this is the act of those trying to harm the pro-Russian cause. It seems an odd way of trying to harm the pro-Russian cause because Muslims in the region also have concerns. It won't get them on side when they are also worried about their minority status.
I don't read Russian or Ukrainian and I am not going to waste time with a dictionary trying to translate what little I can see sufficiently well to read it. I am prepared to rely on multiple translations and reports to know that this is something that should not be happening.
It doesn't matter if it is a hoax it should not be there. It should never have been written.
I don't care who has written and distributed the material. I feel sickened by it. I feel sickened by it because it is designed to do harm.
I really don't care what people believe as long as they do not try to force others believe it. I don't care what people believe as long as they do not harm other people.
I have no time for people who knock on my door and start trying to tell me what I must believe. I have no time for belief systems which do not respect all people as equals. I have no time for those who threaten those who do not believe as they do or ridicule those who believe something different. I just don't want to know such people. I have friends who are Jewish. I have other friends who are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, agnostic and atheist. I wish I could bring them all together in the same room and that we would all condemn the sort of vile message that was distributed in eastern Ukraine.  
I can't do that of course - but I can say I don't support that vile message.

 

No comments: