Saturday 18 January 2014

A book, an interesting book

in the post? The Senior Cat pounced on it with glee. He has just finished reading his current "heavy" book - on the range of religions in North America - and he wanted another non-fiction book.
His cousin's wife sent him "Sing-sings, sutures and sorcery" by Anthony Radford. His cousin's wife was, for many years, secretary to the man who wrote the book. The good Professor also spent many years working in New Guinea and then, as his career progressed elsewhere, going backwards and forwards to a country he clearly loves.
New Guinea is not a safe place and I would loathe the tropical climate. I was, without applying for it, once offered a job there. Thankfully I was offered another position at the same time and I took that. The decision was made for me because of the climate. We cats do not like hot humid weather. (No, the job was not in the Highlands of PNG. It was on the coast.)
I glanced at the book. It looks interesting - although I suspect that, like many autobiographies actually written by the individual, it could do with a bit more editing. It won't matter too much. Right now the Senior Cat is more than happy to have it. He has met the author and likes him. I do too.  This was the man who not only came to the memorial service for his former secretary's daughter but insisted on driving her to and from.  It is I think typical of a man who genuinely cares about other people.
Another cousin phoned later in the day. Her library now has a copy of the book and she was the first read it.
"I didn't like all that medical detail," she told the Senior Cat. No, I can't imagine that she did.
It won't worry the Senior Cat. He will be much more interested though in the man behind the detail.
No doubt I will read it rapidly enough when the Senior Cat has finished it. Oh yes, I have quite enough to read as it is. That stack of books I rest on in my avatar is growing higher and more unsteady by the week.
But, the Senior Cat will be 91 soon and he still has a great deal he wants to read. His current fiction is the latest Ian Rankin - a writer he thoroughly enjoys. The previous non-fiction book was one on the history of the variety theatre. There are more non-fiction books waiting to be read. He still has a very inquiring mind.
Is this the secret to growing older?

3 comments:

Helen Devries said...

I think it is.
Mother is now 97 and has now that her eyesight makes reading more difficult listens to documentaries on the radio...quite apart from sport which is her passion.

bbookbear said...

I don't know what to think, Cat. Today is my father's 89th birthday. He is totally the opposite of the Senior Cat. He has no interest in anything and no desire to even move much of the time. My mom passed away in September (at the age of 90) and I know he is very lonely, despite our best efforts. However she was the energetic, interested one and he wasn't as much, but now she is gone and he is still here. It is something that I do puzzle over from time to time.

catdownunder said...

Mm.. that's interesting because I would have said that my mother was the social one who was always out and about. Since her death the Senior Cat has actually become more rather than less sociable. I didn't expect that - but I am grateful for it.