Wednesday 4 November 2009

I am going to spend the next few days

teaching about knitting, not teaching knitting but teaching about knitting. There is a difference. I am not going to be running a workshop aimed at teaching specific skills. I am going to answer questions about knitting. I am going to inform people about knitting. I will answer specific queries if I can. I will, to the best of my ability, help people read a pattern and translate it into action.
Knitting is a visible process. Actually putting words on paper (or screen) is also a visible process. Something says they should be alike. They are not and they are.
There appear to be certain rules for knitting. I say 'appear to be' because, like all rules, they can be broken. It takes enormous confidence to break knitting 'rules'. The majority of knitters tend to buy yarn and needles and a pattern and follow it. They are the 'readers' of knitting. The 'borrowers' in library terms. They do not 'write'. Some knitters are only able to perceive the pattern in the colour it is presented in. If they do not like the colour they will not like the garment. They will even believe that it 'must' be made in that colour. Others will be able to translate a single colour. It takes more confidence to translate multiple colours.
There will be others who will cautiously set out on a journey to make something their own. They will write a new rib of words for themselves or put in a new rhythm of stitches around a yoke. They will look for a new yarn to retell an old story. There will be results, good results and very good results.
Excellence in knitting is something else. It is a new story or an old one told in such a way that it cannot immediately be recognised for what it is. It will catch the eye and the mind. It may be challenging to wear or use but it will be worn or used. It will have a knitter-writer and a knitter-reader. It will be like the very best writing and not like writing at all.

3 comments:

Judy B said...

You have described exactly what I will be doing for two hours each on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with just one minor difference. I will be teaching about hand quilting, but I will try to find time to get some knitting tuition.
Judy B

Rachel Fenton said...

I cannot follow a pattern for love nor money!

catdownunder said...

Look forward to meeting you Judy.
Rachel, if you can read (and you obviously can) then you can follow a pattern - but it is a lot more fun to do your own thing!