Monday 19 October 2009

I always wondered what this

NaNoWriMo thingy was...National Novel Writing Month. Clearly a plot by publishers, editors, agents, family, friends and others to help those who believe they can write a book recover from the urge to do so. I wonder whether it works? I must do some procrastination research and find out whether anyone has ever had one of these novels published. Writing 50,000 words in a month would be a cinch - wouldn't it? Or would it?
It is obviously a disciplinary thing...bad would be writer...stop being lazy...get down and do some writing for a change...but I do write....everyday....I write my little blog piece....I make myself write my little blog piece. There are even a few brave, kind souls out there who read it and make encouraging comments....and a few more who refuse to comment there but tell me what they think when they see me or leave me e-mails telling me what a bad job I am doing and how I should be more (or less) controversial. Should I be more controversial? Should I write more or less or not at all? I am tempted....
So, do I need this NaNoWriMo thingy to write? No. Would it be fun? Mmm...maybe. I am not convinced. If I did it would it be cheating to start early and then take my four days of planned leave and not write? Come on, I am only having four days. It is all I get all year. I have told the earth no quakes, shakes, tears, flames or fights in that time...please? Come to that would it matter if I wrote in my head and just failed to put it on paper for those four days? That might be a solution....but then, why does there have to be a solution at all? Does it matter as long as I write?
I must make myself write today because I have reached a point where something does not seem to be working. I know that if I sit here and make myself do it the characters will sort it out for me. They have a habit of doing this. I have told them we have two weeks to do this. We could tidy up the stray cat hairs later but they have to have it sorted out before I take those four days off. They are not coming on leave with me. They have had their holiday. I want mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NaNo should not be taken too seriously. I did it last year and had a blast - albeit a frantic one. I usually stick to 1000 words a day and then stop. Instead I wrote 1667 words a day. There is a community feel around NaNo that I haven't experienced before, and the team behind it send regular emails to encourage you on your way. A lot of successful writers also lend a hand and write pep talks for those taking part.

There are success stories from NaNo and these are listed.

It's writing fun: nothing more, nothing less.

catdownunder said...

Yes, I am actually thinking it would be fun - but I have committed to four days away from the computer (apart from morning blog post). It's the Quilt and Craft Fair and I promised I would be there. I must admit it is usually fun to encourage people to knit as well as read and write! I want to finish the two projects I am on now before I start anything else... but I'll give it serious thought for next year!

Anonymous said...

I think if anyone is going to attempt NaNo, then you really do need to have a free November diary. This year I don't and so sadly I won't be taking part.

Hopefully I'll be able to give it a shot next year.

Good luck with your crafting.

Rachel Fenton said...

I wrote a whole novel back in June, couldn't I just pretend I'm writing it in November? :)

I prefer writing novels to thinking up blog posts!

Holly said...

I would not take it too seriously. There is no reason not to use it as an excuse to either write or revise that book you have alway been meaning to transfer from brain to paper.

I know a lot of people who have life get in the way. It should be a rush, but fun. So if you want to take a couple of days off - go for it.

And there is nothing to prevent you from doing the outline and character sketches ahead of time (this is prep work) which would give you back those four days guilt free.

Heck, you could even feed us a paragraph a day as a post!

My second daughter managed a decent novel last Nov but got bored afterwards and never did the revisions.

Adelaide Dupont said...

I've tried the NaNoWriMo five times: 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008. I didn't know my account because I had forgotten my password (hint, it's written in the 2007 novel which is my most successful attempt at nearly 37,000 words).

Also I am doing something special for November: a paper about growing up and changing in Pat of Silver Bush.

Have a great time at the Quilt and Craft Fair!

It's great to hear what everyone is doing for their NaNoWriMos. Also there is an editing month which is sufficiently far away to get an objective view of your novel. (One of my writing friends had to stay away two weeks).

It might be fun to sign up to as many regions as you can.