Wednesday 6 May 2009

Anything that can go wrong....

yes, it will go wrong. The nice man was there at 7:45am. He was sitting in his van having a cigarette waiting so I gave him a wave. It did not stop him finishing the cigarette - but I did try. He comes in and soon hauls out some of the strips that are going to be glued to the floor. There is silence. Then I hear a few more strips being slapped around. Then there are mutterings and then, "Ay Cat come and take a load of this. I can't use it."
I arrive reluctantly at the doorway to the area he is supposed to be working on. He shows me. The strips are not straight. When they are placed together there are gaps as much as a cm in places. He does not need to explain. We stare in silence.
He hauls out his mobile 'phone. He rings his boss. His boss lives only a couple of corners away and has not yet left the house. He comes down to have a look. The three of us stare at it.
Dad finishes shaving and comes to see what the problem is. The four of us stare at it. The boss hauls out his mobile 'phone and rings Sydney. Send some more. Yes, we will send some of the faulty strips back to show you. He disappears. Dad goes off with his mate to his post-shoulder-op check up and then to do some boys' shopping (new woodwork clamps etc). I make the nice man a cup of tea and get back to some proof reading etc.
The nice man finishes preparing the rest of the floor and says he will return as soon as the strips arrive.
After they all go I remember that the colour we have chosen was the only colour 'on special'. I wonder if this is because Sydney knew that there was a problem?

1 comment:

Katy said...

Oh Cat, I do feel for you. Home 'improvements' and such are so, well, difficult. The only recompense is that they really don't last for ever, even if it feels like it at the time...

Good luck with the rest of th work! :-)