Tuesday 7 April 2009

Why do tradesmen

need to work with their radios blaring? I cannot work against the mindless chatter of commercial radio, especially the 'talk back' chat shows of mind numbing inanity. I do not like most modern, popular music. My nephews, the duo Red Ice, have long since given up on my modern musical education.
Yesterday someone came to replace a lengthy piece of guttering. He worked to the rhythm of his radio. I imagine that everyone around us was trying to do the same. He appeared to be a perfectly nice and otherwise polite person. I don't think it would even occur to him that others may not share his musical tastes. It was a relief when the job was finished and he left.
Tomorrow the six home-schooled children of one of my more distant cousins are coming for a day of woodwork. They now range in age from 16 down to 3. They are nice children, very nice children indeed but they will be noisy - although in a different way. The second eldest once said to my father, "Isn't it quiet around here?" Yes, it is. We like it like that with the rare exception of a visit by them.
I am comfortable with quiet. If I am writing something other people's compositions tend to intrude unless there is quiet.

2 comments:

Holly said...

we may be the only two people in the world who prefer quiet to filling their homes and lives with other people's voices....

catdownunder said...

Ah, so you found me!