Saturday 18 April 2009

I have not done

too badly this morning...changed the sheets, put on two loads of washing and hung it out to dry, washed my hair, put the ingredients in the bread machine, had some breakfast - all before the newspapers arrived. Sounds good doesn't it? I have to confess the papers were a little late in arriving.
The young man who delivers them at weekends is rather erratic. It is as well that the 21st party in the next street is tonight or he might have to negotiate party-goers leaving. We have had a notice about the party in our letter box. "Maddie" is having a 21st. I am not sure why. Perhaps she did not have an 18th. I feel sorry for her as she lost her mother when she was 13 and her brothers went a bit wild. She moved out to live with one of her grandmothers for a time.
I suspect that the party is going to be noisy and the surrounding streets will be packed with cars. This is normally why notice is given. The party givers seem to be under the misapprehension that informing people absolves them of the responsibility to keep noise levels reasonable and leave sufficient parking space for others. Oh well, Maddie I hope the party is fun and that the noise level is reasonable after about 1am tomorrow.
A book on knitting socks arrived for the Guild Library yesterday. I took some time out last night to read it. As a child I was never allowed to have handknitted socks. My mother claimed it was because my feet got too hot in them. I do not know whether this was true or not. My paternal grandmother would have knitted them. She knitted socks for my siblings - and other items as well. I have handknitted socks now - and I especially treasure the elegant, exquisitely knitted and finished works of art made by my friend Imperia. My feet like her socks -and they do not get too hot in them.
I come to the conclusion that some of the fancier sock patterns are intended for people who wear clogs (so you can see the heels) or socks with sandals or....I don't know. I like the idea of playing with patterns on socks - but what is the point if nobody sees you wearing them? I always wear lace-ups and long pants....who sees my socks?

No comments: